Thursday, April 19, 2012

Nightingale Songs

Nightingale Songs by Simon Strantzas is an excellent collection of horror short stories. Strantzas has a subtly to his writing that I really found enjoyable; these were stories of everyday life that were sometimes mixed with the supernatural. Every story in this collection was a fun read that also made me think; for me, that is the best kind of horror fiction. Strantzas touches on several themes that are universal. The fear of abandonment, the worry that every new parent has that maybe the new baby is too much to handle, jealousy, being judged by others, are some of the things his stories focus on. Several of these stories will be staying with me for a long time. I believe it is the subtly in them, the feeling that they could happen; these are stories that will have you questioning the noises you hear in the night, or that uneasy feeling you get when you walk into a room. This is horror fiction, but I would recommend it to anyone who reads any genre.

I also want to make a note of the quality of the publication itself. As far as I am aware, this is not available as an ebook. I have the trade paperback version, and it is of very high quality. The paper itself is very nice, as is the feel of the cover. There is also a pen and ink drawing (or possibly a print made from a wood cut) of a nightingale in a robe in a surreal setting on the third page. It is an excellent drawing, and something I consider to be a bit of lagniappe.






I give it five cocktails. 



No comments:

Post a Comment